Licensed Professional Counsellor
I am well familiar with what it’s like to live in a new country, and the challenges of navigating new environments.
My name is Nia Barnett and I am a Licensed Professional Counselor, with over 20 years of experience. I am currently pursuing my PhD in International Psychology with a focus on Organizations and Systems, at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. I am also a Certified Coach, with an abiding love for international travel and working in diverse environments! Having enjoyed the experience of also living abroad, I am well familiar with what it’s like to live in a new country, and the challenges of navigating new environments. Over the course of the last 20 years, I have provided therapeutic services for individuals, groups and families, as well as business consulting services in a wide range of settings, including virtual/tele-health, inpatient and outpatient care, school-based programs, and consulting and coaching for business executives and professionals. My approach to clinical work involves collaboration with each patient, with a view of the therapeutic and consulting process as a partnership with each individual client.
Availability and Bookings
I have flexible availability to meet your needs, including weekends and evenings!
Areas of Specialization
You can be confident knowing that I have developed a specialty in and completed extensive training in cross-cultural work, well-suited to providing individual therapy to people from all backgrounds and all walks of life. I have over 7 years of experience in crisis work with children and families, helping to bring peace/resolution to conflict within the family dynamic, or any type of group
I also have experience providing Project Management in various business industries, leading to increased production, improved operations, and peace of mind for C-level Executives! I am available to help you work through job related stress and even help brainstorm solutions to the same!
I am known for intuitive empathy, evidence-based and practical problem solving, well-suited for successfully addressing personal and professional challenges. I utilize an integrative approach to therapy and consulting that is solution-focused and tailored to the specific needs of the individual. I am currently based in Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina, USA, and passionate about serving the expatriate community and meeting them anywhere they are, mentally, emotionally, professionally, and anywhere in the world!
Areas of Work
- Individual Therapy/Counseling:
- To address mental health symptoms that cause distress in your life (i.e., anxiety, depression, trauma, disordered eating).
- To heal from past hurts or trauma.
- To provide support navigating emotions.
- If you struggle with interpersonal relationships and want to learn strategies to feel less impacted by others.
- If you are experiencing relationship issues and could benefit from couples counseling.
- Kid’s Chat! – opportunities for children to talk about their expatriate experience and other topics,and address behavioral/emotional challenges
- Teen Talk! – opportunities for teens to talk about their expatriate experience and other topics, and address behavioral/emotional challenges
- Clarifying and achieving personal and professional goal
- Creating business plans or brainstorming through business challenges
- Working to improve communication skills
- Achieving a work/life balance
- Starting a new business or growing/improving operations for a current business
- Navigating differing business cultures as an expatriate
- C-level Executive Counseling & Business Consulting
- Executive coaching specifically suited to C-level Executives, Management, Supervisory roles, etc.
- Confidential counsel and advice related to personal and/ or professional matters
And last but not least:
- COVID-19! – This pandemic has affected every aspect of daily life! Let’s work together to help you successfully weather the ups and downs of this very challenging pandemic!